Soszynski?s retirement on hold until doc says he can?t go on

Soszynski?s retirement on hold until doc says he can?t go onKrzysztof Soszynski appeared to have retired following his fight at UFC 140 (4:00 mark). Now we're finding out there's more to the story.

Just minutes after losing to Igor Pokrajac, Soszynski made his statement made in front of a doctor during a postfight exam. Soszynski recently admitted he didn't even remember discussing the topic that night, but that doesn't mean retirement is out of the question for the 34-year-old veteran of 39 fights.

Aside from dealing with the negative effects of multiple slugfests, Soszynski says his knees are the real problem.

"I've been having knee problems since UFC 110 - the first fight with Stephan Bonnar. Ever since then, my knees just haven't been the same. We basically beat the crap out of each other, and ever since then I haven't been the same," Soszynski told The Province. "I've basically been fighting maybe 50-60-percent capacity. I've been fighting with these obstacles now for close to two years. I've had five knee surgeries in that time - three in the last seven months or so.

Soszynski sounds like he still has some fight left in him, but it'll be up to his doctor to decide if it's worth the risk.

"I possibly have to go under the knife again - I'll go see my doctor next week - so we'll see; depends on what the doctor says. If the doctor says I can get back to fighting, I would love to have at least one more fight, and go out the proper way, not the way I did against Igor. But if the doctor says that's about it, I'm going to respect that," Soszynski said.

Soszynski's been good for the sport. He represented it well by being one of the more mature characters on Season 8 of "The Ultimate Fighter."

Chances are, whether he's fighting or not, he'll contribute as a coach or nutritional expert in the future.

Source: http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/blog/cagewriter/post/Soszynski-s-retirement-on-hold-until-doc-says-he?urn=mma-wp11212

José Aldo  John Alessio  Houston Alexander Ricardo Almeida  Eddie Alvarez

Griffin says his Twitter warning was a warning for everyone

Griffin says his Twitter warning was a warning for everyoneMiguel Torres is gone. Let's hope it's a short stay in exile.

If he returns to the UFC, it won't erase what's gone down on Twitter with the fighters and it certainly doesn't mean that a future blow up isn't right around the corner. Managing verbal gaffes on Twitter will be an ongoing challenge for teams, sports and fight promotions.

Forrest Griffin, who sort began the whole Twitter flap with his rape joke/commentary last month on Twitter, says it really shouldn't be that difficult for the fighters to police themselves.

"You should know. You kind of should know. You have a feel for it. For me, it was like a three-hour thing. Three hours before anyone said anything to me, I realized 'I messed up. I shouldn't have said that,'" laughed Griffin. "Someone once said. Twitter is like internet porn, once it's out there, it's out there and there's no getting rid of it."

Griffin joined Stephan Bonnar in the FoxSportsRadio920 studios on Sunday to talk about the current state fighting in the Octagon and outside. Bonnar gave his take on what happened to Griffin, Rashad Evans and then Torres.

"It's one of those things where Forrest said something and everyone got mad. And it's like a little slap on the wrist for Forrest. Then Rashad said something, everyone got mad. Then it was like 'dammit you guys I warned you once.' Then Miguel said something, okay 'we need to make an example somebody.'"

Griffin suggested Torres should've known by then that any sort of sarcastic/joking tweet referencing rape was off limits.

"That was kind of the warning for me, was the warning for everyone. Don't do it. Just stop. It's not perceived well," Griffin told the MMA Fight Corner radio show.

The former light heavyweight champ still likes Twitter because it provides a good forum for discussions.

"I like to say things that are not necessarily inflammatory, but also kind of make you think a lot," said Griffin. "[...] My whole thing is I never meant to hurt people who've been hurt by that. I'm not the kind of person who'd want to hurt people who've been victims of a horrible crime."

Both Griffin and Bonnar appreciate the fact that the UFC has never censored the fighters, but they've definitely gotten the fact that Twitter can be a dangerous place with a fine line to walk.

Source: http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/blog/cagewriter/post/Griffin-says-his-Twitter-warning-was-a-warning-f?urn=mma-wp10769

Andre Amade  Dean Amasinger  Jimmy Ambriz Matt Andersen  Alex Andrade 

Showtime stays in MMA business, deal struck with Strikeforce

With a conference call upcoming, it was just announced via email that Strikeforce, Zuffa and Showtime have come to a new agreement to keep the mixed martial arts promotion on the pay network:

Showtime Networks Inc. and world championship mixed martial arts (MMA) promotion STRIKEFORCE® have entered into a new broadcast agreement to continue producing live MMA events on the premium television network, SHOWTIME. The agreement was announced jointly today by Stephen Espinoza, Executive Vice President and General Manager, SHOWTIME Sports®, Dana White, UFC® President, and Scott Coker, STRIKEFORCE CEO.

Under the new agreement, SHOWTIME will produce and televise up to eight live events. STRIKEFORCE athletes such as lightweight champion Gilbert Melendez, middleweight champion Luke Rockhold, women's featherweight champion Cris "Cyborg" Santos, women's bantamweight champion Miesha Tate and other world-class MMA fighters will continue to compete for the organization on SHOWTIME.

The new deal kicks off during the network's Free Preview Weekend, Saturday, Jan. 7, as champion Rockhold defends the STRIKEFORCE 185-pound title against dangerous veteran Keith Jardine at The Joint at Hard Rock Hotel & Casino in Las Vegas, live on SHOWTIME at 10 p.m. ET/PT. Notable STRIKEFORCE contenders such as Robbie Lawler, "King Mo" Lawal and Tyron Woodley are also set to compete on the televised card, which?as part of Free Preview Weekend?will be available in more than 60 million households nationwide across SHOWTIME, SHOWTIME HD? and SHOWTIME On Demand®.

Beginning with the Jan. 7 card, SHOWTIME will also televise undercard fights for all STRIKEFORCE events live on SHOWTIME EXTREME

Source: http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/blog/cagewriter/post/Showtime-stays-in-MMA-business-deal-struck-with?urn=mma-wp10798

Jimmy Ambriz Matt Andersen  Alex Andrade  Jermaine Andrè  Yoji Anjo 

If a video game knows anything, Overeem is headed for an easy win over Lesnar

UFC Undisputed 3 is due out soon and the game makers teased us a bit by releasing a preview of what the Brock Lesnar-Alistair Overeem fight could look like.

Who knew Overeem was in even the game? The massive Dutchman is actually a bonus character you can unlock here on THQ's Facebook page.

[Related: Brock Lesnar and Alistair Overeem plan to win quickly in UFC 141]

In this simulation, Overeem is a beast. He thwarts a takedown and kicks out of another. He wins the clinch game along the cage and delivers a devastating knee. Lesnar didn't have a shot to run from this standing strike. He goes down in a heap. Mike Goldberg goes crazy and Junior dos Santos better prep for "The Reem."

Watch UFC 141 right here on Yahoo! Sports

Other popular stories on Yahoo! Sports:
? UFC fighter Urijah Faber shaves his famous locks to support sister
? MMA rankings: Jon Jones second to only one
? Air Jordan fans destroy property, trample shoppers for new shoes

Source: http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/blog/cagewriter/post/If-a-video-game-knows-anything-Overeem-is-heade?urn=mma-wp11065

Andre Amade  Dean Amasinger  Jimmy Ambriz Matt Andersen  Alex Andrade 

Former UFC fighter Browning is big news in Thailand, finally turns himself in

Former UFC fighter Browning is big news in Thailand, finally turns himself in

Junie Brownie has been out of the UFC's hair for a while, but he's been back in the news over the last week. Apparently, it's a big deal in Thailand.

The former reality star on Season 8 of "The Ultimate Fighter" got into a big brouhaha at a bar in Phuket on Dec. 13. He fled the hospital where he was being treated for injuries, been missing ever since and the Thai papers are all over the story.

Police have mounted a Phuket-wide hunt for an American man who started one brawl in a Phuket bar then continued it in the emergency treatment ward at Patong Hospital. Police have named the suspect they wish to interview as Allen Browning, 26, a Thai boxer who fled into the night on Sunday in Patong and has not been seen since.

Earlier in the night, Mr Browning allegedly was seen beating up on an expat woman in a bar in Patak Road, Karon. He also lashed out at Thai female bar staff when they tried to intervene, police said.

Four other tourists from Australia and the US also attempted to intervene but Mr Browning lashed out at them, too, police said.

UPDATE: Browning finally showed up at the police station and turned himself in according to Phuketwan.com.

Former UFC fighter Browning is big news in Thailand, finally turns himself inOne of those tourist was Simon Menzies. Browning claims it was Menzies, who was the real troublemaker. Fightlinker discovered that Menzies was also in trouble with the law earlier this year during a flight from Sydney to Darwin.

Sydney man Simon Wilson Menzies, 31, was drunk and angry when he told the female cabin crew manager on a flight this week that he could "bring the plane down if he wanted."

Menzies said: "I'm half muslim, half Aboriginal and everyone else is a white [expletive]. I could [expletive] blow up the plane."

[...] The court heard Menzies was on Jetstar flight JQ81 from Brisbane to Darwin on Tuesday com when he became abusive after being refused a fourth beer.

The court heard he was refused service because he continued to be rowdy despite repeated warnings.

After he was refused service Menzies, who is 190cm and solidly built, stood over the cabin crew manager and told her to get the captain.

"Send the captain I will [expletive] smash him I'm the biggest guy on the plane," he said.

None of this comes as much of a shock with Browning. He was nearly kicked off TUF 8 several times for violent outbursts. He survived and was even given two more fights with the promotion.

In 2009, Browning was taken to a Las Vegas area hospital after what was reported to be a failed suicide attempt. He compounded his issue by allegedly attacking a female nurse at the hospital. The UFC immediately released him from his contract. He's gone 1-4 since his stint with the promotion and last fought in August. Frankly, right now fighting is the least of his problems.

Arrest tip via MMAWeekly

Source: http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/blog/cagewriter/post/Former-UFC-fighter-Browning-is-big-news-in-Thail?urn=mma-wp11023

José Aldo  John Alessio  Houston Alexander Ricardo Almeida  Eddie Alvarez