Junior Dos Santos Interview - UFC

Heavy-handed Junior Dos Santos steps back into the Octagon? against a man considered to be an equally dangerous striker, Shane Carwin. Will Junior's speed advantage be enough to hand Carwin his first KO loss? Watch UFC 131 Live on Pay-Per-View and www.UFC.tv on Saturday, Jun 11th at 6/9PM PT/ET.

Source: http://mmalice.com/ufc/junior-dos-santos-interview-video_8d42cdb57.html

Dean Amasinger  Jimmy Ambriz Matt Andersen  Alex Andrade  Jermaine Andrè 

UFC 142 look ahead: Anthony Johnson wants to play ?TUF Brazil? spoiler

UFC 142 look ahead: Anthony Johnson wants to play ?TUF Brazil? spoilerVitor Belfort's in an interesting spot come late January.

The Brazilian has a tough fight against Anthony Johnson, but also has a fight likely booked for the summer against Wanderlei Silva. He and Silva are the coaches on "The Ultimate Fighter Brazil." It seems like a possible look ahead spot for Belfort.

Johnson isn't bothered by the double booking.

"That's fine. I'm gonna spoil it. I'm gonna spoil it for them. I'm glad they put that [together], the coaches together for a show," Johnson told Sirius Fight Club on Sirius 94/XM 208. "It's two legends in Brazil. That's great for the Brazilian fighters and the overall MMA community, and for the world to see. Because both of those guys have a ton of knowledge," Johnson said. "Hell, I might just take his job after the fight!"

Johnson, a good prefight trash talker, sounded like he's going to dial it down a bit around the sometimes over-the-top Brazilian fans.

"Only thing I'm worried about is if I can make it out of Brazil or not," joked Johnson. He's noticed Chael Sonnen really stirring the pot around a possible Anderson Silva fight. "[Now] Sonnen needs to worry. I'm not on his level in talking as much as he talks. What he's saying is good for promotion, but it's also bad. There's some things you say and some things you don't say."

Johnson said he's not worried about trying to verbally intimidate Belfort. He's more interested in making sure he's on point on fight night.

"Of course his hands are fast, but I have to stick my gameplan and what I know and what I do best. Once I start worrying about what he can do. Then that's when you stop thinking about what you can do," said Johnson.

The matchup makes for an intriguing fight. It's strength against strength.

The 6-foot-2 Johnson has spent his entire career fighting down at 170. How will he react to a smaller weight cut? Johnson said he'll still be cutting from around 210 pounds. Will his power translate to the 185-pound division? Maybe he does catch Belfort looking ahead. He's certainly got nothing to lose. We'll find out if Belfort, who's biggest weakness is his mental game from fight-to-fight, is rock solid in Rio.

Source: http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/blog/cagewriter/post/UFC-142-look-ahead-Anthony-Johnson-wants-to-pla?urn=mma-wp10987

Terrance Aflague Yoshihiro Akiyama  Gilbert Aldana  José Aldo  John Alessio 

GSP overhyped? A Canadian website says so after tough 2011

GSP overhyped? A Canadian website says so after tough 2011

It's been a lousy year for Georges St-Pierre and he can't even turn to his boys in Canada for a little moral support. Well, it's only one writer's opinion, but Aaron Lefko of Sportsnet.ca included GSP on his "Most Overhyped Athletes of 2011" list.

And even before his injury, St-Pierre was taking verbal shots from the public, the media and fighters for his inability to put away opponents.

He grabbed the international spotlight in April for headlining the first UFC card in Toronto, producing GSP mania. A record UFC crowd of more than 55,000 packed the Rogers Centre to finally see the conquering Canadian hero and he went the full five rounds with Jake Shields in what was more of a clinic on how not to lose a fight than actually win it.

Keep in mind, St-Pierre won the fight against Jake Shields back in April. Since then he's battled injuries all year with the worst coming a few weeks back when he suffered a torn ACL. The fight at UFC 129 is really stuck in the writer's craw.

It was boring at best and continued a pattern of St-Pierre going the full distance without delivering the knockout blow or submission. Heck, the fight before it on the card was way more entertaining than the main event.

We're not exactly sure why it's a bad thing for the undercard to outperform the main event. Plus it seems tough to overhype a guy who's been inactive for eight months.

Check out the rest of the list. Is there anyone on there who's been a champion? Seems a little harsh to put GSP, a legitimate champion, on the list just because he doesn't win the right way.

Is GSP overhyped? Maybe this guy and Nick Diaz are onto something.

Frank Trigg, Kevin Iole and myself discussed the St-Pierre topic on the latest "The MMA Insiders" on ESPN1100/98.9 FM.

Source: http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/blog/cagewriter/post/GSP-overhyped-A-Canadian-website-says-so-after-?urn=mma-wp11086

Houston Alexander Ricardo Almeida  Eddie Alvarez Thiago Alves  Andre Amade 

Urijah Faber shaves his famous locks to support sister

One of Urijah Faber's trademarks, his golden brown hair, is now gone after he shaved his head to support his ailing sister.

The day after Thanksgiving, his 19-year-old sister was in a serious car accident. Michaela has been in the hospital since then, and had brain surgery requiring a shaved head. Faber, who will soon begin coaching on "The Ultimate Fighter" against bantamweight champion Dominick Cruz, has been by his sister's side through much of her trauma.

He tweeted before the haircut that it's been 12 years since he had it that short, but was happy because Michaella is coming home on Friday. Because of his new haircut, she won't be the only person at family holiday celebrations without any hair.

That's a Christmas story that will make you smile even if your heart is two sizes too small.

Other popular stories on Yahoo! Sports:
? MMA rankings: Jon Jones second to only one
? Patriots TE Rob Gronkowski learned from hyper-competitive father
? The most hated player in the NBA (it's not Kobe)

Source: http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/blog/cagewriter/post/Urijah-Faber-shaves-his-famous-locks-to-support-?urn=mma-wp11074

Yoshihiro Akiyama  Gilbert Aldana  José Aldo  John Alessio  Houston Alexander

Long national nightmare is over: Lesnar vs. Overeem on for UFC 141

Any worries about the main event for UFC 141 were quelled by a tweet from UFC president Dana White.

Long national nightmare is over: Lesnar vs. Overeem on for UFC 141

Alistair Overeem was granted a conditional license for his bout with Brock Lesnar in Las Vegas after the Nevada Athletic Commission was unhappy with Overeem not taking pre-fight drug tests to their satisfaction. He had to take another test, but now that he has passed it, next week's fight is on.

Overeem started his training for Lesnar in Las Vegas, but moved back to his native Holland when his mother's cancer became a concern. He said during Monday's press call that there have been distractions, but he knows how to deal with them.

"It was a distraction but, I've been through a lot in my career. I have like 65, 70 fights," Overeem said. "So you learn how to deal with distractions, setbacks. I mean I'm a three-time champion and I've been through a lot, so it's all about adaptation. I'm pretty good at that I think."

Source: http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/blog/cagewriter/post/Long-national-nightmare-is-over-Lesnar-vs-Over?urn=mma-wp10957

Yoshihiro Akiyama  Gilbert Aldana  José Aldo  John Alessio  Houston Alexander